Archaeologists have unearthed remnants of what they believe is a 1,000-year-old village on a jungle-covered mountaintop in the Philippines with limestone coffins of a type never before found in this Southeast Asian nation.
The discovery of the rectangular tombs, which were carved into limestone outcrops jutting from the forest ground, is important because it is the first indication that Filipinos at that time practiced a more advanced burial ritual than previously thought and that they used metal tools to carve the coffins.
This is some heady archaeological stuff. I mean, just absolutely amazing. I hope this gets a lot of play in our media, this needs to be prominently touted.
Discoveries like this basically rewrite what we understand about our archipelagic history. They are important in uncovering who we are and where we came from. The fact that there were hitherto unknown techniques in use is astonishing. Looking forward to the published study of the find.
The exciting part is, there is much more to be find throughout the country. We are an archaeological treasure trove, we just need the institutional support to explore.
The sad part of the story is the mention that most of our discovered archaeological sites are being destroyed by grave robbers and looters. These sites form an integral part of our national patrimony, they belong to every Filipino and help deepen our understanding of our heritage.
And it’s just fucking cool.
- prinsesanggutom likes this
- latter-daymariaclara likes this
- darlingstonefield likes this
- uknowsuperasian likes this
- fyfilipinopride reblogged this from iwriteasiwrite
- draconisflightling likes this
- lionmettled likes this
- pleasantremembrances likes this
- isleofconclusions reblogged this from ahvahtlom
- sailorhitmanchan likes this
- foggypebble likes this
- amorevolous-girl likes this
- theallstarfreak reblogged this from iwriteasiwrite
- theallstarfreak likes this
- forlornjester likes this
- lemlunay reblogged this from pinoytumblr
- kalyemarino likes this
- curiouslysilent likes this
- miguelrodriguezofficial likes this
- lil-ino-boo reblogged this from noonesordinary
- noonesordinary reblogged this from lookingunderthesamesky
- findingataraxia likes this
- dorosaurusrex likes this
- asympatheticflare likes this
- peacexlovexdrugs reblogged this from austro-nesian
- terrasigillata likes this
- praisethelorde likes this
- austro-nesian reblogged this from saribayan-archive
- lookingunderthesamesky reblogged this from saribayan-archive
- lookingunderthesamesky likes this
- fenfeiikou likes this
- saribayan-archive reblogged this from luzvimindarepublicmoved
- anglab likes this
- filipeanut likes this
- damnitshakespeare likes this
- kettle-prince likes this
- flammentanzerin reblogged this from rukkilill
- teesh-oh likes this
- teapotsy reblogged this from paranormaldaily
- aalian reblogged this from pinoytumblr
- holakid likes this
- czarjonnelftw likes this
- hoybata reblogged this from austro-nesian
- calculatingdistances likes this
- kaerleikr reblogged this from rukkilill
- charmwithasmile likes this
- justlikeastaracrossthesky reblogged this from br0fart
- shinjirella likes this
- janjalanjanjan likes this
- br0fart reblogged this from lolamoeksenaqueen